Monday, September 21, 2009

Overwhelmed

I confess, I have been quite overwhelmed the last couple weeks and have not felt in a place to write much. Sorry for the lack of blogs. Here's what's been going on:
  1. My 14-year-old sister, Sanay, passed away one month ago today from cancer. The aftermath of her death has been emotionally draining, as you can imagine, and we've just been so busy. I have had an outpouring of love from many of my friends, and lots of get-togethers, which I love. However, sometimes I have needed to just BE and have had a hard time saying no (especially because, even though I want to just be, I also really want to spend time with my friends). I'm having a hard time with balance in this area.
  2. I've been trying to get my business going. Some of you probably know that I have a writing and editing business, Prolific Pen. I have really been pushing to get this going so that someday I can quit my regular job and only work from home. But because I am pushing so hard with this while also working my regular job part time, I'm feeling overwhelmed with work. I dropped down to part time at my regular job when I had Evan so that I could spend more time with him, but lately I've been feeling like between my regular job, my freelance work and trying to get my business going, I'm working the equivalent of a full time job, all while feeling pulled while I'm at home to be attentive to Evan, keep the house clean, cook dinner, and spend time with Matt. Another thing that has been difficult is that I need to meet with potential clients during the day, but I don't have a sitter figured out for Evan for those times. It's just an hour or two here and there, but it adds some more stress because I want to be professional and accommodating to my potential new clients.
So between these two main areas, I am feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and like I don't have any time to relax and be by myself, which is important for me to recharge.

I WANT to do everything I am doing, but I just don't have enough hours in the day I guess. I am trying to figure out ways to organize my life better and live simply. I know the work I'm doing to start my business will be worth it and will contribute to my goal of living simply, but right now, it's just hard and a lot of work.

Do any of you have some tips for me on how I can simplify things and organize my life better so it feels more manageable?

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rachel, I SO can relate!! I feel pulled in a million directions right now and my freelance business has taken off over the past few years, which is great, but I feel so torn between being there for the kids (and Chad) and satisfying clients so I can continue to help bring in an income for our family. There are days I just want to stand up in my office and SCREAM I feel so overwhelmed!! Like you said, you want to do it all, and so do I, but man, it sure is tough some days!! I don't mean to discourage you, more than anything I just wanted you to know that you are NOT alone!! If I find any answers as to how to simplify things I'll sure let ya know, but the biggest thing I've found to help keep at least a thread of my sanity is to give my feelings of being overwhelmed to God!! He knows what we can handle and if we trust in Him, he'll reveal to us what areas we can cut back on, eliminate or adjust to make life easier. So hang in there!!

    I'm praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no advice for you...it's hard not only to do it all but to WANT to do it all! However, if you ever have clients that you are meeting with in the city, let me know and you can always drop him off here, I stay home with Ro and can be flexible! Well, I guess my one piece of advice is to ask for help when you need it! :)

    ReplyDelete