Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Freezing tomatoes

Do you grow tomatoes in your garden but don't know what to do with them? There's always the option of making tomato sauce or salsa, or of course eating them fresh from the garden. But if you're like me, time and/or energy are sometimes lacking and you just need to do SOMETHING with them before they start to go bad.

I learned a little trick from my dad that has been a great way to use the tomatoes. I give them a quick wash, pat them dry with a towel and then pile them up in freezer bags. I freeze them whole, skins on. Then, when I'm making soup, pasta sauce, or otherwise cooking with tomatoes, I simply go to the freezer and pull out however many tomatoes I need and let them soak for a few minutes in warm water. After soaking, I score the tomatoes with a knife and the skins slide right off. Then I chop the tomatoes up and add them to whatever I'm making. It's so simple and adds a fresh tomato taste to my cooking!

Do you have a helpful kitchen hint? Please share!

1 comment:

  1. Impressive! I didn't know you could freeze them whole - I always just dice them up and freeze whatever extras I have laying around to use for chili in the winter. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete