I took home some whole apples to slice up and freeze for pie. My cousin Katie gave me a great tip, which I tried today.
- Peel, core and slice up the apples (8 cups)
- Mix the pie ingredients in with the apples (flour, sugar, cinnamon, etc)
- Place into a freezer bag and seal it up
- Place the sealed freezer bag inside of your pie plate, arranging the apples into the confines of the plate
- Put the whole thing in the freezer
- Once frozen, remove pie plate
Then, when you want to make a pie, all you have to do is make a crust and plop the frozen apple pie mixture right into the crust, top it with the top crust and bake frozen. I need to double check how long to bake it. I got enough apples for four pies. I haven't tried baking the frozen apples into a pie yet, but I thought it was a pretty great idea!
Other things I did today:
- Baked a loaf of bread
- Prepared an egg bake for breakfast tomorrow
- Played with my beautiful baby boy!